Are You Suffering With Damp, Mould And Other Repair Issues?

Try our quick eligibility checker to see if you can claim compensation.

Each Claim May Be Worth £1000's

Please note: You do not need to use us to make a claim. You can bring your complaint up with the Housing Ombudsman directly, for free.

The No Win, No Fee varies, but is generally between 25%-50%+VAT.

Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the claim process?

In most cases, a letter from our team will result in property repairs being completed by your landlord. However, if the case does need to go to court it could take between 9 and 12 months to obtain the compensation.

How do I know if I am eligible to make a claim?

If you’re a Private Tenant, Housing Association or Council tenant living in a property with any of the disrepair issues listed above, then there is a good chance that you are eligible for compensation. Fill out our short checklist now to check if you are eligible.

Can my landlord evict me if I make a claim?

No. Your Landlord does not have any legal reason to evict you if you have lodged a disrepair claim.

How much compensation can I receive?

Your compensation will be calculated based on the length of time the property has been in disrepair, how many people it has affected and how severe the disrepair is. Each case is completely different and will be valued accordingly.

Can I claim against a private landlord?

Yes, you have the same rights as anyone else and can make a claim. Please fill out our short checklist to get things moving.

Do I still need to pay my rent if I am claiming?

Yes, you must pay your full rent. If you stop paying your rent, then it will give the Landlord an ability to make a counter claim against you for a breach of your Tenancy Agreement.

If I no longer live at the property, can I still claim?

No, unfortunately not. You must be living in the property.

Discover If You Can Claim

Try our quick eligibility checker to see you can claim compensation.

For Your Information do not give legal advice; Our service is limited to the process and administration of compensation claims. You do not need to use a claims management company to make a claim. You have the right to use the Housing Ombudsman to seek redress for free.

The No Win No Fee Success Fee for getting your housing disrepair compensation is based on which expert panel member we refer you to. Our panel consists of Satchell Moran Solicitors Limited, Bond Turner Limited, Smooth Commercial Law Limited, DW Marketing Limited.

The No Win, No Fee varies, but is generally between 25%+VAT - 50%+VAT. We do not have a termination fee for housing disrepair claims.